Re: 4.0 to go official soon?

From: Zeyd M. Ben-Halim <zmbenhal_at_majordomo.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:40:18 -0800

>> Please do *not* package and redistribute the so-called "4.0.0" release.
>> It is a power play by one of the co-developers. He has been refusing
>> to communicate with the other three.
>>
>> When there is an official release, I will allow it on Sunsite.
>
>I am already using it with the major number set to 3.0, as did past
>versions of ncurses ship with... (So no need to recompile all
>binaries.)

Most programs will probably never notice the difference, but there ARE
differences. Moving to 4.0 also allows the package version to match the
shared library version. It is not that critical if you are installing
ncurses yourself, but for distribution maintainers it is.

>I consider the current version to be better than one of those very
>old ones.

Nobody is denying that it is.

>My wishes: An official bug-list that Thomas Dickey seems to have.

Which Eric has been nagging for the last few months.

>More open development so that beta-tester can test the whole thing
>before things are uploaded to sunsite or the main site by Zeyd.
>(I very much appreciate the packages at ftp.clark.net.)

Unfortunately they are very public. We've had several instances of
people putting betas up on sunsite or prep.

>You all have done a good job at the development, please don't
>let ncurses break.

I don't have time to mediate, and Tom seems to be going his own way.
I'm open to suggestions.

Zeyd