Re: UPS, the teamsters, and ncurses

From: Zeyd M. Ben-Halim <zmbenhal_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 19:40:44 -0700

>Christopher Miller writes:
>> Speaking of which, is there an alternative like passing on the overall
>> stewardship to someone **like** cygnus, caldera, gnu, etc...? Some
>> organization with a track record in managing talented and strong
>> personalities?
>
>I have already said that I am willing to see the primary maintainer
>role passed to a safe third party (and I don't think Zeyd would object
>at this point, either, though I can't commit him on this).

I certainly have no objections, as a matter of fact I asked for volunteers
quite a while back after Thomas put out his 4.0 simply to avoid the
situation.

>I actually asked Keith Bostic (the former 4.4BSD maintainer and a strong
>supporter of this project) to take over six months ago, in an
>effort to avoid this confrontation. He wouldn't do it, for which
>I can't say I blame him.

Nor do I. I simply don't have the time to argue with Tom. His diatribe
(disguised as the "History of ncurses") on his page is the last straw.

>I don't want to maintain ncurses for the rest of time. Technically,
>the work I wanted to do on it is nearly accomplished. If some person
>or organization of good repute wants to step up to the plate, I am
>more than willing to cooperate for a smooth transition and orderly
>transfer of rights.

Eric hereby has my full support to take whatever actions feels warrented.
It sad to see a project I was involved in since 1991 come down to this
state of affairs.

Sadly,
Zeyd