Re: ncurses 4.1

From: Juergen Pfeifer <Juergen.Pfeifer_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 06:02:12 +0200

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> > nope. He's quoting from work in 1995.
>
> I've got the dates on all my patch files, from #1 (long before you
> were on the project) to the most recent. The trustworthiness of
> *your* chronology may be accurately assessced by Zeyd's public
> description of it as a sickening diatribe.
>
> As for the rest of your peroration about my efforts, I think I'll
> forgo the petty pleasure of responding myself and let Zeyd if he so
> desires (he did say "write me if you need more ammo"). I'm certain
> you won't enjoy the results.
> --
> Eric S. Raymond

Maybe, but only looking at the tiny part of your big list I know
exactly:
the wsync... stuff in lib_windows.c was totally broken. The same was
true with copywin(). You're right, you or somebody else hacked it in,
but when I looked at it I had the impression that most of that was done
without really understanding how things work together. I rewrote all
this
stuff completely. Actually my name is still in the sources in the
comments.
I guess Thomas is right: just implemented following a spec. And all of
that
are important functions for advanced curses apps like menu and form are.

Finally the 1.9.8 release with those last minute hacks wasn't working.
That's not a sign of seniority.

Nevertheless I'll continue to honour all the valuable contributions you
made and hopefully will make to ncurses. Without any doubt a lot of
good stuff. If you only would test your code as seriously as Thomas
does it...

I've several mails in my folders from last December when Zeyd asked
Thomas to get his snapshots because Zeyd hadn't kept all the patches
Thomas was the one doing all this. Zeyd said that he want's to
see a 4.0 release ASAP. But then - lets say as usual in the last two
years -
he simply disappeared. If someone unbiased would read this mails I'm
quite sure that he would interpret this as a "go, do it your own, I'm no

longer interested".

A totally different story is the removal of your name from the
maintainers
list. You may remeber that I told the public that I don't agree to
remove
your name if you don't like that. That's still my position. You should
be in
the list and Thomas should be the one coordinating releases, because I
still
believe he's doing an excellent job. But as far as I understand that's
not what
you want. You want to have control and all the others should do the
work.

Cheers
Juergen