Re: What is "free software"?

From: Eric S. Raymond <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:13:59 -0400 (EDT)

> ESR> The problem is that if "free software" includes a right to
> ESR> redistribute modified copies, the optimal strategy is hijacking
> ESR> and parasitism, not being original and productive. And the
> ESR> culture doesn't want that.
> Do you have evidence that ncurses development was lacking originality
> or that productivity was low?

Excuse me, I think you may not be following the logic correctly. According
to my argument, the ncurses license should have prevented these problems.
Therefore if I answered "yes" you would have no new information.

It did not prevent hijacking, but that's because Thomas Dickey is willing
to do things that are ethically and legally wrong.

		Eric S. Raymond