Re: ncurses 4.1

From: Kaz Kylheku <kaz_at_cafe.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:54:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 15:38:42 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "T.E.Dickey" <dickey_at_clark.net>
> To: Kaz Kylheku <kaz_at_cafe.net>
> Subject: Re: ncurses 4.1
>
> > The question is whether Tom has a right to do that. If the ncurses guys
> To paraphrase: the question is whether Eric or Zeyd have the right to
> distribute my changes (more than a third of the changes to the ncurses
> library).

There is no question of of their right. It doesn't matter whether you changed
five, thirty or seventy percent. A derivative work is a derivative work.
The authors have the sole adaptive right over that work.

If you don't like it, make a 100% t.e. dickey curses.

Incidentally, I was under the impression that ncurses is freely distributed.
You can't allow the user base at large to distribute ncurses freely along with
your changes, yet specifically deny distribution rights to Eric and Zeyd.

What you are insinuating is that your changes are not freely distributed
software.