Re: What is "free software"?

From: Juergen Pfeifer <Juergen.Pfeifer_at_T-Online.de>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 21:42:29 +0200

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> I think this is about to become a historical issue, however. If (as now
> seems likely) Peter Seebach takes over as primary maintainer and is assigned
> copyright, the new distribution will ship with his choice of license (which
> I believe is BSD).

Eric, is this a commitment? Do you assign copyright to Peter? When?
What's about the other volunteers for a primary maintainer (Florian LaRoche
and Jason Evans)?

If all that doesn't come very fast to a good end, I'll take my code and contribute
it to a really free ?curses project. I encourage all interested people to start a new
free curses clone if there is no conclusion about a change of the ncurses status
until Friday the 13th of June. In this case I'll take the responsibility to coordinate a
group of developers doing this job in record time pissing ncurses out of the scene.
I ask volunteers to send me an EMail.

And I will do that without wasting time about a discussion what "free" means. I'm
quite pragmatic about that. It must mean that you can do with the code what you
want as long as you don't erase the name of the authors and you mark any changes
you did.

Juergen