What's the status of ncurses now?

From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh_at_time.cdrom.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 08:36:25 -0700 (PDT)

Over in the FreeBSD camp, we're hearing all kinds of horror stories
of disputed copyrights and worse, so I figured I'd come over here
and ask a group of folks a little closer to the source.

There has also been some concern expressed about the direction in
which ncurses appears to be going - more and more features which
deviate a fair bit from the original "curses mandate" to provide a
straight-forward screen I/O library, the most complex object in
which would be the "window" and anything else being layered on top
(in a different library).

Now that forms and menus and such have appeared, it almost seems as
if this layering has been violated somewhat, and rather than trying to
creeping-featurize ncurses it seems (IMHO) a far better course to simply
start developing another, entirely independant, library of CUI objects.

Perhaps something along similar lines to what TurboVision did could
be contemplated, now having moved from DOS to being a client of ncurses
turbovision provides a rather sexy collection of advanced CUI
objects (albeit for the evil C++) and perhaps something of the same sort
could be done for the C programmer. Just in a separate library, please. ;-)

Anyway, thanking you folks in advance for any feedback..

                                        Jordan