Subject: Re: Funny Printer Support Story

From: "David Goodwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Oct 1996 17:11:58 GMT

I, too, started in technical support.  I worked for a printer company.  I
was once asked to take over a call that had frustrated our front-line
support team... it went something like this... the customer was VERY upset.

Customer: I want to buy a 220 volt unit (Laser Printer) but I live in New
York.  Where can I get one.

Me:  Well, that could be rather difficult since we do not sell 220 volt
units in the US.  You have to purchase them from a European dealer.

Customer:  Tell me how to convert a 110 unit to 220.

Me:  That would be difficult and very expensive, you would have to have a
service tech replace the power supply and the fuser.  (the customer was so
angry at this point that his voice was cracking)  Do you mind if I ask why
you want a 220 volt unit in the US? (We sometimes have international
companies who try and move the printers back and forth between Europe and
the US.)

Customer:  I want the fastest printer I can get... I went to great lengths
to have our new building fitted with 220 volt outlets in the printer room
and my boss wants those printers installed NOW.  

Me:  What does speed have to do with voltage?

Customer:  I want to talk to your manager.  You obviously don't know
anything about printers.  A 220 volt printer has to be faster than a 110
volt unit.  

Yes, this, too, was a real call that I took in 1994.  It took me quite a
while to decide if this was a practical joke. Obviously,  printers cannot
print faster because of their voltage... the power supply transforms all
voltage anyway, except to the fuser which certainly can't speed up
printing.