Re: 4.0 announcement

From: Thomas E. Dickey <dickey_at_clark.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 19:52:40 -0500 (EST)

> >However, I did upload to sunsite shortly after I loaded to your incoming
> >directory. Barring minor tweaks to documentation, that's 4.0 as far as
> >I can see. I'm organizing my lists for 4.1 now.
>
> Most of my nitpicks ARE documentation related. I'd rather you not distribute
> ncurses versions unless they are in my ftp directory.
> For one the version number should be 4.0.0 not just 4.0.
nope. technical reason. 4.0 maps cleanly onto the portable subset of shared
library versions. a 3rd field isn't portable, isn't treated uniformly by
the different platforms.

I thought I cc'd you on that a month or so ago, when we were discussing
the ld.so.1.8.5 problem. It was in response to something from Juergen.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
dickey_at_clark.net