Re: 4.0 to go official soon?

From: Florian La Roche <florian_at_knorke.saar.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:36:57 +0100

> I would object strenuously. So would Zeyd benHalim.
>
> Please do *not* package and redistribute the so-called "4.0.0" release.
> It is a power play by one of the co-developers. He has been refusing
> to communicate with the other three.
>
> When there is an official release, I will allow it on Sunsite.

I am already using it with the major number set to 3.0, as did past
versions of ncurses ship with... (So no need to recompile all
binaries.)
I consider the current version to be better than one of those very
old ones.

Development over the Internet is not really easy as people also
want credit for what they do. Maybe it would be best, just to
talk about stability and the remaining bugs for some time.

My wishes: An official bug-list that Thomas Dickey seems to have.
More open development so that beta-tester can test the whole thing
before things are uploaded to sunsite or the main site by Zeyd.
(I very much appreciate the packages at ftp.clark.net.)

You all have done a good job at the development, please don't
let ncurses break.

Greetings to all of you,

Florian La Roche

P.S.: Dunno if I should write something about it, but I have listened
      to ncurses development for some time and the current status
      is just not the best...