Re: What is "free software"?

From: Eric S. Raymond <esr_at_snark.thyrsus.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:09:41 -0400 (EDT)

Thorsten Lockart:
> I am not so certain about that; if it had a pure BSD license (which,
> like the GPL, allows redistributing changed versions, but does not
> have some of the GPL's other limitations), yes. Seeing now that it
> does not, I am not at all sure that OpenBSD will keep on distributing
> it, as we (or, actually, I) have made some changes to it that we felt
> were needed.

I think I can safely assert that neither Zeyd nor myself wants to
prevent OpenBSD from making necessary local adaptations.

That we assert a right to control the redistribution of modified
versions does not mean we want to forbid all such modifications.
That reservation is not intended to hoard the code. Rather, it is
intended to prevent abuses like Thomas Dickey's.

--
		Eric S. Raymond