Copyright © 2001-2012,2013 by Thomas E. Dickey
This is a collection of some of the patches which I have made to GNU programs. I have submitted these patches to the appropriate maintainers, but received no acknowledgment. That is, they were ignored. In a few other cases, I have seen my changes incorporated without credit, but that is another matter. The former (nonexistent or non-responsive maintainers) are preferable to the latter (egotistical plagiarists). Here's a quote from one of the latter's (not a GNU maintainer) build instructions:
Once again, there should be no errors.
You'll get lots of warnings, just ignore them.
locatewhen there was too great a change in lengths between "adjacent" directory names.
-execoption does not work.
Flex of course is not a part of the GNU project. It is distributed under a modified BSD license. However, many people continue to assume it is GNU software; this page is a convenient place to document this patch (until I add an analogous page for other patches).
flexby repairing some of the damage done by the "new" flex's moving some of its namespace into
Flex, as you note here is not a GNU
flex is an orphaned project
here. which has
been packaged in Debian/unstable since 2003. The Debian
package maintainer has been attempting to breath life into it
ever since, although its developers have abandoned it. For
practical purposes, he is the program's maintainer, but does
not have a good grasp of its design. Consequently,
development (other than build-fixes) has stopped.
More interesting, however, is the notion of making
flex depend upon
m4. That detracts
from its portability (read the code and think about it). The
immediate problem addressed by this patch is that by making
m4-macros of flex's output, it makes the
option rename the
variables, rather than provide both the names. That makes it
not comply with POSIX (some mailing list discussion noted via
google a while back hinted that the developers needed some
patchwith Visual C++ and Borland C:
constwithin some C files only happen if the config.h header is not used.
screento work with the new title control-sequences which I added to xterm in patch #251, in November 2009.
Copyright © 2001-2011,2012 by Thomas E. Dickey
All Rights Reserved.
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name of the above listed copyright holder(s) not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.
THE ABOVE LISTED COPYRIGHT HOLDER(S) DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE ABOVE LISTED COPYRIGHT HOLDER(S) BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.