Re: ncurses-4.0 un-announcement

From: Tony Nugent <tony_at_trishul.sci.gu.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 16:06:27 +1000

On Fri Dec 27 1996, "T.E.Dickey" wrote:

> > The ncurses-1.9.9g release earlier this month caught most people by
> > suprise. The fact that is was released at all makes no sense (but see
> > below).
> both were announced on the mailing list (and I received my copy via the mailing
> list, so I'm reasonably certain that you also received the announcement in that
> manner). The understanding I had with Zeyd was that he'd issue the
> announcement for 4.0 -- but he's not responded, so I'll probably issue it
> today.

I did not - and have not yet - seen such an announcement. AFAIK, I've
been getting everything from ncurses-list_at_netcom.com with no hiccups.

But the point I was trying to make was that there was absolutely no
discussion about any impending release *before* it was done. No "last
calls for patches and bug reports" or anything like that. Now I see
some messages about bugs in 4.0...

It obviously caught Zeyd by suprise too, and he's apparently going to
re-release it. Now it seems that we will soon have two ncurses-4.0
releases. This is not good (and in this case, especially not good for
linux). <sigh>

Cheers
Tony