Re: ncurses 4.1

From: Eric S. Raymond <esr_at_snark.thyrsus.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Well, we've gone full circle now. Kaz, you're accusing Thomas of
> retracting redistribution rights from Eric and Zeyd. If you recall back
> a few days, that's exactly what Eric's intention was (and apparently
> still is). Why are you so bent out of shape about Thomas doing it (even
> though he didn't actually make a statement of intent to retract any
> rights), yet applaud Eric, when he explicitly did exactly what you accuse
> Thomas of?

Kaz's point is subtler than that. He's chosen an amusing way to point out
that Thomas can't object to Zeyd and myself distributing "his" code without
torpedoing himself.

And there it would end, in a deadlock, if it weren't for the fact that Zeyd
and I are copyright holders and Thomas is not. As RMS correctly points out,
and Kaz has established in detail, this means *our* desires in the matter
trump Thomas's in the eyes of the law.

Happily, this coincides with the ethics of the situation.

--
		Eric S. Raymond